Review: Mr Burger (Melbourne, VIC)

93 Therry Street

Food trucks. They’ve been converging on Melbourne’s suburbs like flies at a summer BBQ – and we’ve embraced them wholeheartedly for the most part. The only thing that bugs a lot of us is that these trucks rarely come into the CBD due to council permit restrictions – and that’s a shame because I’m sure a lot of city folk would trade their boring ham and cheese toasties for something more exciting.

The closest thing to having a food truck in the CBD, though, is the Mr Burger truck which frequently parks down a laneway off Therry Street next to the Queen Vic market.

wp1

I’ve ordered a burger here several times after my Saturday market run and I’ve never been disappointed. Sure, the trucks window is perhaps a bit too high for my 5’6 frame which means that I have to tilt my head at an uncomfortable angle to give my order but that’s only a small price to pay for friendly service and reliably good food every time I visit.

wp2

Mr Burger’s motto is simple: ‘We serve burgers, chips and drinks. That’s it.’ A truck of only a few words – I like it.

Small chips ($3)

Small chips ($3)

The chips here are pretty good. They’re always golden and crispy, and coated with a tasty Old Bay-like seasoning that’s slightly spicy. I swear, they’re more addictive than crack (not that I’ve ever been a crack addict before, ahem).

Mr Burger ($10)

Mr Burger ($10)

Although the Mr Veg option with falafel sounds tempting, I can never go past Mr Burger’s standard cheese burger which they dub the ‘Mr Burger.’ Wrapped in foil like they do in the States, my burger never fails to satisfy. Beef, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and American cheese are held together by the holy trinity of sauces: mustard, mayonnaise and tomato sauce.

You’re less likely to pay $13 for a burger and chips in the States but I think Mr Burger represents good value for money. Sure, you can get a burger and fries for half the price a few steps down at McDonalds but why would you? Finally, I was going to end this post by saying how I wish Mr Burger parked near my work every now and then but I think they’ve now set up shop on Little Bourke Street. Amen to that.

Mr Burger on Urbanspoon

13 Comments on Review: Mr Burger (Melbourne, VIC)

1. Pradeep
    August 19, 2013 at 20:39 (1 year ago)

Burger heaven my dear libby

2. Mr Burger
    August 19, 2013 at 21:20 (1 year ago)

Thanks for the kind words Libby! Love the blog, see you at the truck again soon!

August 24, 2013 at 11:07 (1 year ago)

No probs, guys. Looking forward to my next burger fix!

3. Winston
    August 19, 2013 at 23:03 (1 year ago)

Ahhhh love this post! JUST as we were talking abt Mr Burger at dinner the other night. Like I said, I walked past this on Vic Pde next to ACU the other Sunday, really wish my curiosity had gotten the better of me so I could’ve gone and had a bite. Gotta try now the burger sounds FANTASTIC

4. Sophie
    August 20, 2013 at 00:21 (1 year ago)

Wow, the burger looks so simple and divine! And where can you get a good quality fries and burger for $13 nowadays? I love the pictures! I think it’s time that I pop by into the city more often and eat its delicious food.

5. Liz @ I Spy Plum Pie
    August 20, 2013 at 18:19 (1 year ago)

They were parking near my place in Collingwood for a while, but never when I was home! I will have to keep an eye out in case they are back soon as I think the falafel burger has my name all over it!

6. CCU
    August 20, 2013 at 19:48 (1 year ago)

So fresh and delicious looking, not greasy at all! I want this truck instead of our canteen :P

Cheers
    CCU

7. ChopinandMysaucepan
    August 21, 2013 at 09:04 (1 year ago)

Dear Libby,

These trucks have also given restaurants a run for their money and I was just in Melbourne last weekend and similar to Sydney, dining choices seem endless which is great for the dining public.

August 24, 2013 at 10:28 (1 year ago)

Oh wonderful! Looking forward to reading about your Melbourne adventures :D

8. Em
    August 21, 2013 at 12:31 (1 year ago)

I love an American style burger. As far as I am aware there are no trucks on the East side. :-(

• Mr Burger
      August 21, 2013 at 14:56 (1 year ago)

Hey Em, we do have some sites in Richmond but that’s as far east as we go regularly. At the moment, none of the councils out east have street trading permits, but we can get out there for events and functions. Hopefully out there a bit more now that it’s starting to warm up.

• Em
        August 22, 2013 at 12:22 (1 year ago)

Thanks for the reply Mr Burger! I am a *bit* further East than Richmond unfortunately. I have no doubt that it is the councils’ fault that you guys aren’t out this way!
        I will keep an eye out for any public events or functions.

9. Katherine
    December 28, 2013 at 18:29 (12 months ago)

and there is a store in South Yarra too at Chapel st