Oopen @Ibis Hotel (Christchurch, New Zealand)

107 Hereford Street
Christchurch Central
Christchurch 8011
New Zealand
+64 3 3678666

I hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Let’s hope that 2013 will be just as magical as the fireworks that graced Southport, Gold Coast on New Years Eve.

wp

I am not one to make New Year’s resolutions but I’m hoping to blog more consistently this year. That, and to cut down on processed snacks, exercise more (I didn’t do so much of that in 2012) and just be a better person in general.

But anyway, that’s enough of that. Onto my New Zealand chronicles!

Dinner in Christchurch was at our hotel’s restaurant, Oopen for lack of operating restaurants in the still-earthquake ravaged city centre. Hotel restaurants aren’t usually known to be packed to the rafters but this one was pretty happenin’ by the time we arrived for dinner at 8pm sans booking. We were told to come back in half an hour so we ended up doing some much-needed laundry in the hotel’s basement before trying again.

Once seated, we were ordered drinks, an L&P (NZD$4.50/AUD$3.57) for Marty and a glass of Boundary Raparua Road sauv blanc (NZD$11/AUD$8.73) for myself.

wp1

Marty went unusually light with the lemon chicken salad (NZD$22/AUD$17.46). Pieces of overcooked chicken breast fillets were coated in a sweet lemon marinade before being tossed in a salad green and cashew mix. It wasn’t horrible but it wasn’t great either.

wp2

Oopen is supposedly all about the pastas so I decided to carb it up. Diners are asked to select a pasta type, a serving size, a sauce and a ‘topping.’ I went for went for a medium-sized mussel marinara penne with fresh chilli topping (NZD$22.50/AUD$17.88). Like Marty’s chicken salad, it wasn’t terrible but it didn’t blow my mind. It was something anyone could easily make at home, without the price tag.

wp3

You’d think that we’d be done by this stage but Marty decided that he couldn’t leave without trying their crème brûlée (NZD$12/AUD$9.52). Sigh. It really wasn’t good. There was no crunchy topping and the custard inside was bordering on dense. As for all that unnecessary icing sugar on top? No comment.

Having said all that, the service at Oopen was fantastic. The waiters were all super-friendly and the food came out pretty quickly. Hence, while I wanted to enjoy the food, I really couldn’t. That said, the Ibis Hotel in Christchurch had only been open for a week prior to us arriving so perhaps Oopen was going through some teething problems. We’ll most likely stay at the Ibis the next time we’re in Christchurch and if we end up dining at Oopen again, I hope the food matches the service.

1. renikameow
    January 2, 2013

The pasta does look good but what a shame the taste didn’t meet your expectation. Also hard to find a mind blowing salad too!

1. libishski
      January 4, 2013

True, but you can get really, really, really good ones though! Unfortunately, perhaps not in NZ…

2. dave
    January 2, 2013

short and bittersweet chapter of Christchurch. looking forward to the “more” blogs.
    what do you think the food trend in melbourne will be this year?
    one thing pho sure id Marco Pierre White is not to be missed whether your a fan of MC or not.

1. libishski
      January 4, 2013

Yeah, we only stayed in Christchurch for one night…

No idea what food trends will be popular in Melbourne this year. Haha I’m not too fussed, as long as it tastes good then I’m happy!

3. Em
    January 3, 2013

Happy New Year to you and Marty! 🙂

1. libishski
      January 4, 2013

Happy New Year to you and J!

January 3, 2013

Happy New Year Lib!! Hrmmm oh well, there’s better food around NZ and outside Auckland I’m sure lol

1. libishski
      January 4, 2013

Definitely. Luckily, most of the places we went to were heaps better than this place!

5. Ames
    January 3, 2013

I like how you just get on with it, Libby! I have to learn that from you I think to cut down on the ramblings haha Happy new year!

1. libishski
      January 4, 2013

Haha I do find it hard to ramble myself so I totes understand. Happy New Year to you too, Amy! 🙂

6. yummychunklet
    January 4, 2013

It sounds like it was a great meal. Everything looks so bright and delicious.

1. libishski
      January 4, 2013

Hah! I wish the dishes tasted as good as they looked. Ah well.

January 4, 2013

What a shame that the dishes weren’t as good as the service 🙁 I find it quite sad because you know a restaurant has potential and you try so hard to like that place but… you simply can’t because it’s not that good ~

Doesn’t matter at least the hotel was nice and hopefully next time when you go back it’ll be better 😉

8. cquek
    January 4, 2013

What lovely dishes indeed, TRUE!

9. […] orange (NZD$12/AUD$9.52). It was a lot better than the previous night’s crème brûlée at Oopen, though I felt that the custard could have been a little bit lighter. Still, it was tasty so it […]

10. […] orange (NZD$12/AUD$9.52). It was a lot better than the previous night’s crème brûlée at Oopen, though I felt that the custard could have been a little bit lighter. Still, it was tasty so it […]