Bagel Nook (Brisbane, QLD)

Shop 2, 100 Creek Street
Brisbane QLD 4000
www.bagelnook.com.au

My second day in Brisbane started off grey and with light rain. Boo hoo. Ah well, I guess we can’t always be blessed with 27 degree days. Additionally, we can’t always be blessed with stumbling across places that make awesome food as my experience at Bagel Nook will attest.

Located in an alleyway behind the NAB building, Bagel Nook is one of many eateries that cater to the corporate breakfast crowd. It’s been a while since I’ve had a bagel and because I wanted something light for breakfast, I decided that this would be the perfect place for a feed before I was to spend the rest of the day running around Brisbane city.

The ham, cheese and tomato bagel is normally $6-something but a bagel and coffee combo was $7.70 so I got that. My latte was Merlo, the Queensland equivalent of Vittoria and my bagel was, let’s just say nowhere near as good as Glick’s in Melbourne. Authentic bagels? I couldn’t tell the difference between mine and the $6.50 ones they serve at Hudson’s Coffee. Boiled bagels? Pfft, more like hard and crumbly to me. Sure, the filling was tasty and sure, the bagel did sate my appetite for several hours that morning but I wish I had gone to the Roll Shop only a few metres down for some Vietnamese pork rolls instead (ah, the beauty of hindsight).

Bagel Nook on Urbanspoon

1. Choc Chip Uru
    October 14, 2012

Hmmm shame the bagels were a miss! There is a bagel coffeehouse near my place, drop by and visit Sydney to change your bagel opinion 🙂

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

1. libishski
      October 14, 2012

Awesome! What’s the place called, Uru?

2. hotlyspiced
    October 14, 2012

Oh dear. Sorry to hear it was a disappointment but I agree with you, that does not look like an authentic bagel xx

3. msihua (@msihua)
    October 14, 2012

Man I’m hooked on rolled! But yeah.. .I’ve never noticed this shop.. you find all the coolest places hidden around the city i swear!

1. libishski
      October 14, 2012

‘I’ve never noticed this shop’ – that’s cos it’s in Brisbane! :p

But yeah, not one of the best hidden places!

4. dave
    October 14, 2012

Viet rolls over bagels any day of the week. you deserved better. Even Maccas bagels look better them. Maybe this place should stay hidden :O.

1. libishski
      October 14, 2012

I agree – Viet pork rolls > bagels!

I do like Glick’s bagels though 🙂

October 14, 2012

Oh what a shame about the bagel…I really hate places that use those hard and stale store bought bagels…and its not really cheap for $7.7…ohhh gonna write down Roll Shop so glad you go to Brissie so often cuz I can go to the places you recommend for food 🙂

1. libishski
      October 14, 2012

I’ll give you a list tomorrow!

October 14, 2012

YAY!!! 🙂 Thank you!

6. retep eel
    October 17, 2012

We are in desperate need of a Barney Greengrass, Katz and Carnegie Deli here…

1. libishski
      October 18, 2012

Agreed. Glicks isn’t bad though…

7. brisbanedevoured
    November 1, 2012

The only place to get good bagels in Brisbane is LaVosh at Red Hill. Oh and the Bagel Boys at Jan Powers farmers markets. Everywhere else = poo.

1. libishski
      November 2, 2012

Thanks for the tips, will definitely check those places out next time 🙂