Curry King

436 Bridge Road
Richmond VIC 3121
curryking.com.au

My friends Nick and Bibi moved in together earlier this year and because I’m a lousy friend, I haven’t made the effort had the time to visit them in their new abode in Richmond. After several rainchecks, I finally trammed it down Bridge Road several Saturday evenings ago to check out their new pad.

What impressed me most about their new place was not its close proximity to their work (they work in the same company), but the fact that it was close to an enviable variety of eateries. I seriously don’t blame Nick and Bibi for eating out more often than staying in on any given week. While Bibi had to dash off to meet some of her other friends for dinner that night, Nick and I decided to roam around Bridge Road for a feed. He had a few recommendations but wanted to try something new. In particular, he was eyeing a Hungarian place but I shook my head for I had eaten two boxes of dumplings for lunch that day and I wasn’t in the mood for some hearty Hungarian. Next time, I promised.

Instead, we ended up at Curry King, an Indian restaurant that was eerily quiet on a Saturday night. Now, a virtually empty restaurant is normally a sign for us to not venture any further but 1) we couldn’t be bothered walking any further and 2) the owner of the place saw us eyeing the menu at the window and jumped off his perch to open the front door for us, ushering us in.

Uh okay, we thought as we gingerly walked in.

We were given some complimentary pappadums to nibble one while we read the menu. A very nice touch.

We didn’t take too long to make our decisions, but for some reason the owner and his waiter seemed keener to talk amongst themselves than to serve us. After flailing our arms around to get their attention, service was finally received.

‘Do you have to take a photo of everything you eat and drink?’ asked Nick, incredulously. ‘YES, I DO. SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME ALONE,’ I retorted, while snapping away probably to his amusement. The drink you see there is my mango lassi ($3), something I always have when I’m having Indian food. Curry King’s version was perhaps a tad too sweet and looked more ‘artificially yellow’ than what I’m used to, though.

Our food did take a while to arrive, which struck us as odd given that there were only three occupied tables. All was forgiven, however, when the dishes arrived in neat succession – and they weren’t actually too bad.

I had their version of the classic butter chicken aka the murgh makhni ($12.50). At the risk of sounding like a chump, I’d have to say that butter chicken is my default dish at Indian restaurants. It may not be authentically Indian, but there’s just something about the beautiful combination of chicken, spices, butter and tomatoes that makes me go nuts. In this case, the sauce erred on the sweet side but otherwise, it was a very decent dish. Nick agreed, saying that it was ‘excellent.’

Nick had the prawn malai ($15.50), which is essentially a dish of prawns cooked with a butter and herb sauce. Although the dish was pretty much five prawns and lots and lots of sauce, Nick enjoyed it. It’s not a dish that I would normally order but I did enjoy trying something new as I don’t normally order seafood dishes at Indian restaurants.

We had a bowl of basmati rice ($3) and two varieties of naangarlic and plain, both $2 each – to mop up the sauces. It doesn’t look like a lot of food but we were extremely full – and that’s saying a lot as we’re both big eaters.

Curry King may not serve the best Indian food in Melbourne but they do the job if you happen to live in the area and want some decent Indian without breaking your wallet. While Nick is keen on taking Bibi there for dinner during the week, I think I’d be happy to try some new places on Bridge Road the next time I pop by to visit them (which will hopefully be soon if I want to avoid the ‘bad friend, Libby’ tag).

Curry King on Urbanspoon

11 Comments on Curry King

August 5, 2012 at 18:55 (2 years ago)

lol, I can’t see you saying “Shut up ans reave me arone” lol hrmmm maybe because i don’t take a dig at your pic taking hahaha mmmm cuuuury

August 5, 2012 at 18:59 (2 years ago)

You’re also not a dickhead like Nick is haha.

2. Choc Chip Uru
    August 5, 2012 at 20:12 (2 years ago)

Haha people tell me just to eat the food but food bloggers curse ;)
    And besides your photos let you relive the experience!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

3. Ames
    August 5, 2012 at 21:09 (2 years ago)

lol I assess whether or not a place is awesome according to the eateries around it as well :D butter chicken is also my default :P

4. I-Hua Lim (@msihua)
    August 5, 2012 at 22:02 (2 years ago)

Boo to slow service..maybe that was the reason why it was slow? Hahahha that venison curry sounds interesting!

5. winstonthehungryexcavator
    August 6, 2012 at 02:39 (2 years ago)

Oh man. There’s SO much good food on Bridge Road but I’m always so unadventurous and head back to Maedaya again and again. I should prolly pay the other establishments in the area a visit. This is so yum I love Indian food. But hate taking photos of it cause curries are so difficult to take a photo of, especially if they don’t swivel it with yoghurt… GAH! And I think all us bloggers share the same woes when eating out with friends. I won’t be surprised if those friends got together to write a blog about eating with food blogger friends.

August 9, 2012 at 18:28 (2 years ago)

We wanted to go to Meadaya but it was pretty busy when we walked past. Oh well, next time :(

6. Iron Chef Shellie
    August 6, 2012 at 11:02 (2 years ago)

My token dish at Indian is butter chicken too…. can’t go wrong with it!

I hate when the people come out and make you go to their restaurant. I often walk off in a huff thinking “if your restaurant was that good you wouldn’t need to force me in!” lol

and yes, that mango lassi looks very artifcial in colour! =/

7. threehanns78
    August 6, 2012 at 21:09 (2 years ago)

“an indian restaurant that was eerily quiet on a saturday night” (especially on bridge rd) means “keep on walking” indian food is so tasty and can be memorable in the right places. Indians are great to work for and with, but their food handling ideas isn’t the same.
    butter chicken, palak paneer and fresh naan are my must haves and the second best thing to come from india after Aishwarya rai is julab jamon. o/

August 13, 2012 at 15:52 (2 years ago)

I don’t really each much indian food :) but when we go ~ I always get butter chicken and tandoori chicken my absolute favourite! a shame that it’s not the best…but like you said at least people living in the area will have a place to get their curry fix :)

9. Corrie
    August 14, 2012 at 13:16 (2 years ago)

I’m the same…cant remember the last time I ate a ‘hot’ dish as I’m always taking a gazillion pics first. :-)