Abbout Falafel House

465 Sydney Road
Coburg VI 3058

Today I finished my last assignment for the semester and what did I do to celebrate? Why, left work early, tramed up Sydney Road and grabbed myself some falafels, of course!

I’m a huge fan of falafels and my favourite place to grab those crunchy balls of chickpea goodness (ooh, dirty) is at Half Moon café in Coburg. I would have gone there today but after reading Kenny’s very positive review of Abbout Falafel House, situated only a few stops away from Half Moon, I knew I had to give it a go.

With a sigh, I let the no.19 tram go past Half Moon café and got off a few stops later. In between two non-descript kebab houses sat a narrow falafel store with one table by the window and several outside getting soaked by the winter rain. I didn’t realise it upon entering the store, but the vacant room next door happened to also be part of Abbout – I’m guessing they decided to rent it after they realised that they couldn’t fit the crowds of people coming in for their falafel fix and then having no choice but to bring their falafels home as there was no room for them to sit.

It was almost deserted except for a few Middle Eastern old men and a group of skaters when I rocked up just after 2pm this afternoon. I ordered a falafel plate ($10), the dish of choice given by the number of subsequent diners who also ordered this. I also saw people ordering bowls of ful (stewed fava beans) and falafel wraps, a steal at $5 each, but the falafel plates seemed like the way to go.

The dude who served me may not have been the friendliest server on the planet (it was probably Monday-itis or he was an Essendon supporter, or both) but he did a good job of shaping the six falafel balls from scratch, frying them so that they were perfectly crunchy with nary a trace of oil and plating them with hummus, cacık, tabbouleh, olives, fresh tomatoes and lettuce, and pickled cucumber and turnips. I was also given two round pieces of baked pita bread on the side.

They were amazeballs (literally). Although I still prefer Half Moon’s fava bean falafels, Abbout’s traditional chickpea version is still pretty damn good – I would go so far to say that they’re the best chickpea falafels I’ve tasted. A vegetarian meal that not only manages to engage your tastebuds but also fill your tummy up for a measly $10? Winning. As much as I tried to, I couldn’t finish the entire thing – and I’m usually a pretty good eater despite initial appearance (I swear, I had heaps of customers do a double-take but then again, how often do they see a skinny Asian girl wolf down a falafel plate by herself?)

The tram ride to Coburg can be a long, lonely trip, especially in this weather, but I’d say it was worth it. Since then, I’ve been inspired to make my own falafels – something I’ve never tried before – and incorporate them into lunches for work. Now that would be amazeballs.

Abbout Falafel House on Urbanspoon

18 Comments on Abbout Falafel House

1. Neeno
    June 5, 2012 at 00:31 (2 years ago)

Omfg I’m going there ASAP!!!!
    I love falafels. Like obsessed! I buy the Yumi’s Falafels from Coles and eat them with a whole tub of Yumi’s hommus. Omg I’m so excited by this post!!

June 13, 2012 at 15:50 (2 years ago)

Oh, I’ve seen those Yumi falafels around – I’ll buy a bag next time and see what I can do with them. Thanks for the tip!

2. considerthesauce
    June 5, 2012 at 01:01 (2 years ago)

Oh, yes, yes, yes. What a place. I just love the freshness and the tanginess of it all. And the lip-smacking sourness of the chillis and pickles and olives. So happy our post got you in there and they delivered! I know we all write our stuff to influence people, but when a fellow blogger runs with it, it’s a bit sort of “fingers crossed” territory!

FWIW, on my first visit I got the fresh-baked baked pita like you with my falafel plate. Second time around, and on a Monday, I got commercial-style Lebanese pita with my hummus topped with minced lamb. Still fantastic, though!

Hmmm, time for a third visit!

June 13, 2012 at 15:49 (2 years ago)

Pita with lamb mince? Oh hells yeah!

3. DL
    June 5, 2012 at 18:45 (2 years ago)

Hahahaha I can imagine the server already!

June 6, 2012 at 18:07 (2 years ago)

These photos slay me. Oh, it’s been too long since I’ve had crispity-crunchety piping-hot falafel!

June 7, 2012 at 08:56 (2 years ago)

Looks great Libby :) I don’t have much Falafels hehe but these looks really lovely and I didn’t know that there was such a place in Coburg gotta go try it out soon hehe ~

6. kellysiew
    June 8, 2012 at 19:20 (2 years ago)

Awesome plate full of colours! Freshly made falafel is amazing :D And you should totally make it at home.

7. I-Hua Lim (@msihua)
    June 10, 2012 at 13:47 (2 years ago)

Ooo.. they look like a plate of Fancy Balls (*cough*) dressed up or down, I’m sure they tasted good!

8. winstonthehungryexcavator
    June 11, 2012 at 00:41 (2 years ago)

HAHAHHA… Amazeballs, right… And yay that you’ve completed your uni work for the semester.. I’m so tired from studying for exams and I can’t wait to go NUTS as soon as it’s over, aih… And I like how you celebrate or pamper yourself with food, after you’ve worked hard on something. A habit that would make the world a better place if more ppl adopted. Anyway, let us know how you go in the next episode where you make your own homemade falafels, I’d love to try em out too! =)

9. Ames
    June 12, 2012 at 15:07 (2 years ago)

Yay for uni freedom! Seriously can’t wait until the next 10 days are over… love how you reward yourself with food hehe I will probably be doing that too and getting a haircut :D Coburg seems a bit too far from home to go out just for falafel but if I’m in the area, I will definitely have my radar on ;) .

June 13, 2012 at 15:45 (2 years ago)

Oh yes, I really need a haircut too. Where do you normally get your hair done?

• Ames
        June 13, 2012 at 16:41 (2 years ago)

Usually Good Morning Hair, one of the many Korean hair salons in Box Hill :D

10. Vik@dealsblock
    June 15, 2012 at 11:19 (2 years ago)

The food looks amazing and sumptuous. Where can we find this? i would also like to share it on deals block.

June 15, 2012 at 17:18 (2 years ago)

Hi Vik,

The address of this place – and any eatery reviewed on this blog – can be found on the top right-hand side of each entry.

• Vik@dealsblock
        June 15, 2012 at 19:46 (2 years ago)

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate.

11. Em Turner
    October 29, 2012 at 14:47 (2 years ago)

I discovered Abbout a while back – this post has reminded me to go and get a felafel fix! Thanks
    saltedandstriped.wordpress.com

November 2, 2012 at 18:30 (2 years ago)

Hey Em, thanks for stopping by.

I wouldn’t mind a falafel right now!