Melbourne Restaurant Reviews: The Very Very Hungry Caterpillar

Co Do

196 Victoria Street
Richmond VIC 3121

When you’ve sat through a 10-hour day, filled with feuding colleagues, idiot customers and lots of system errors; when you’re powering on nothing but five hours sleep, coffee and a cup of Suimin chicken and prawn noodles and when it’s pissing down rain outside, nothing welcomes you like the prodigal son’s father than a piping hot bowl of Bún bò Huế. Having been to, and enjoying BBH at Footscray’s Dong Ba and Springvale’s Nam Giao, I figured that there MUST be a token awesome BBH place in Richmond, another epicentre of Vietnamese cuisine (three epicentres? Is there such thing?). A quick Google search led me to Co Do on Victoria Street and soon enough, I arrived for the dinner rush after a long, labourious day at work.

Although the menu spans several pages, BBH is Co Do’s specialty and one need not look any further than the first page of the menu. Without skipping a beat, I ordered a bowl of standard BBH ($8.50), which comes with sliced beef and pork, beef and pork loaf slices and pig’s blood jelly, though next time I will try the BBH Dac Biet, which comes with extras such as pork hock and prawn cakes ($9).

My bowl arrived as quickly as a Southern Vietnamese person’s speech pattern and I greedily dug in. It was a pretty big bowl and not only that, it was super delicious. They were generous with the beef and pork pieces, and also the sprinklings of lemongrass – this, in particular, made me glad as too often, I come across BBHs that are full of chilli but very little lemongrass. This perplexes me because a BBH is, by nature, a beef and lemongrass soup so why be stingy with the lemongrass? I need not have worried here though. There was a harmonious balance between tanginess, piquancy and spiciness in the soup, while handfuls of bean sprouts and herbs kept things fresher than newly washed bedsheets (speaking of which, I gotta change mine tonight). I guess if I was to be fussy, it could have done with a bit more heat but eh, chilli sauces are provided on tables for a reason, right?

What REALLY impressed me, though, was the amount of noodles they shoved into the bowl. While I know a lot of people who don’t like noodle overkill, I LOVE it. I love my carby noodles so the more, the better. Pretty soon, it got to the point where I had ran out of soup that I was practically munching on dry noodles. Call me weird, but I was in heaven. Noodle heaven.

Of course, Co Do isn’t all about the BBH. Apparently their Vietnamese pancakes are worth making the trek to Richmond for which is what I’ll be sampling next time I’m here. And I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try their pho, too. While I wouldn’t go so far to say that Co Do’s BBH pwns all over the BBH served at my favourite BBH place, Dong Ba, it is definitely up there with some of the better BBHs in Melbourne. I know that if the Eastsider in me can’t be bothered trekking to Footscray, I’d definitely be coming here instead.

Co Do on Urbanspoon

15 Comments on Co Do

1. kellysiew
    May 15, 2012 at 23:15 (2 years ago)

Wow that definitely looks good! I’ve only eaten BBH once in my life but I’m glad it was Nam Giao (Libby Approves!)

2. neeno
    May 15, 2012 at 23:33 (2 years ago)

BBHBBHBBHBBH!!!

I love this new acronym I have learnt from your blog!!!!

I went to Shanghai Street Dumplings last week, I loved it! I reckon est dumplings I have ever had!!

May 17, 2012 at 17:07 (2 years ago)

Haha I shouldn’t take all the credit – the bf came up with the acronym!

And yes, I love Shanghai Street too. Yum!

3. machisan
    May 16, 2012 at 01:49 (2 years ago)

i would love to have a big bowl.

4. Retep Eel
    May 16, 2012 at 07:56 (2 years ago)

I… want…. and you must always have the dac biet; you get the marrow-y goodness that way :D

5. Em
    May 16, 2012 at 08:59 (2 years ago)

That last picture has left me drooling. I am obsessed with noodles!

May 17, 2012 at 17:06 (2 years ago)

Noodles are the best things ever.

6. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake
    May 16, 2012 at 12:40 (2 years ago)

I love the title! :D The weather is just terrible right now isn’t it…I can totally do with a hot bowl of noodles…

7. DL
    May 16, 2012 at 17:53 (2 years ago)

Haven’t had one of these in a couple of months either… NEED A CO DO OR NAM GIAO IN MELBOURNE CBD

May 17, 2012 at 17:05 (2 years ago)

Ugh, Melbourne CBD needs many OTHER things. Like a banh mi kiosk (that doesn’t charge a premium for pork rolls), and more hot guys milling around :D

8. winstonthehungryexcavator
    May 16, 2012 at 21:50 (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh Lib I just wrote down the name of this place because of your awesome review. And I’m SO glad to hear you liked Dong Ba, it’s really one of my fav places to eat in Footscray too! I haven’t been back for 2 years (UGHHHH) but will have to make a trip there again soon. And hey, I love, love pork blood jelly. This place is ticking all my boxes. Another great find, L-star! (sorryaboutthebadnicknamelol)

May 17, 2012 at 17:06 (2 years ago)

Hahaha hey, I HAVE been called worse names :p

Yep, Dong Ba is awesome. Wouldn’t mind making a trek there again this winter, actually. Yummm.

May 18, 2012 at 12:52 (2 years ago)

Hahaha that’s so funny that you like so much noodle :) I don’t really like it when there’s too much cuz i like the broth and vegies and stuff more hehe I don’t think I’ve had a BBH before maybe its time i tried hehe ~

10. Ames
    May 18, 2012 at 15:44 (2 years ago)

*hi5 for noodle love :D I have to say I get a tad annoyed if there isn’t a decent amount of noodles in my bowl… love BBH and definitely agree that it’s a good alternative to trekking out to the west :P would have been nice to have one right now…