Paris Go

116 Rathdowne St
Carlton VIC 3053

In a city where punters marvel over dishes such as squids cooked in red wine with fromage blanc froth and bergamo, and where high-end modern French restaurants get three-hats despite having only been on its new site for less than a month (Mr Bennett, I’m staring daggers at you), classic Gallic cafes such as Paris Go are becoming harder to find. Okay, so it doesn’t have the drawcard of a celebrity chef, a glamorous location or even a kitchen that fiddles around with modern techniques, which seems to be the way to go these days. But what Paris Go does, it does well and that is serving genuine old school French favourites in a relaxed, homely environment.

The truth was that Adam and I weren’t planning to have dinner at Paris Go. I can’t remember what our original plans were (this dinner occurred way back in February (!)) but it didn’t involve walking up to Carlton in the rain but that’s what we did. That is, once I booked a table for two using the bookarestaurant app that I had recently installed on my iphone. When we got there, however, we were told that they didn’t have our booking on file. I’m not sure whether it was because the app was faulty (in which case, I curse you, Mitch!) or whether the fact that we had only booked 15 minutes ago meant that it hadn’t quite registered with the restaurant’s booking system, though I’m inclined to say the latter. In any case, there were still a handful of free tables so we happily picked one against the inner wall of the tiny L-shaped dining room.

Pretty little butter circles!

I ordered the ‘escargots a ‘la forestiere’ ($15), not only to allay any residual feelings of apprehension that I had when it came to eating snails but because Shirley and I had been talking about snails in French restaurants in the week leading up to this dinner (for whatever reason). The snails were chewy as one would expect, probably slightly tougher than the snails and pigs’ tail dish I once enjoyed at Cumulus Inc though. The rich, earthy flavour of the roasted mushroom cups in which the snails were snuggled in went well with the molluscs and the lovely herbed garlic butter that they were infused with.

Adam had the French onion soup ($13), or the soupe a l’oignon gratinee, if pretentiousness is your kind of thing. A far cry from the tasteless and watery bowl of insipidness that he made for French class back in his school days, the soup already ticked the ‘looks’ box when it appeared dried-blood red (okay, not the most apt description but I’ve been watching The Wire so can you blame me?). It was rich, comforting and full of lovely sweet caramelised onion flavour flecked with gruyere cheese, with a bit of garlic for added depth. And on top? A crunchy piece of garlic bread.

For our mains, we both had the filet Bearnaise ($35), cooked rare. 250g of ‘prime export quality’ eye fillet arrived on the table with a knife it its eye socket, and some lovely béarnaise sauce. It was a decent steak – cooked the way we liked it and flavoursome – and we enjoyed it, but without being blown away. Think of a Squires Loft steak, but without the awesome tangy baste that they marinade their steaks (and their other meats) in before cooking them. On that note, I think I’d rather go to Squires Loft given that I do like their steaks a lot better and you’re paying the same price for the same cut anyway.

We also had a green salad (oh excuse me, salade verte, $5) and fries ($5). Because we love fries. Not so much salads, but eh.

Overall, our Paris Go experience was decent. It doesn’t pretend to be what it’s not – it’s a simple, small restaurant serving traditional French food. And they do it well, too. Go there and expect warm, French hospitality and humour (“Stop looking at your Blackberry and pay attention to the pretty lady,” a waiter scolded Adam) and bistro fare and you won’t be disappointed.

Paris Go on Urbanspoon

make a booking - powered by bookarestaurant.com

14 Comments on Paris Go

August 31, 2011 at 23:27 (3 years ago)

So, the last time I had French Onion Soup was at Applebee’s in America…

*ducks*

• msihua
      September 1, 2011 at 19:51 (3 years ago)

I’ll throw a shoe on your behalf Libby :P Cheeky girl!

2. Fatbooo
    September 1, 2011 at 20:45 (3 years ago)

Dried-blood red… D_D

On that note, the last time I had french onion soup, it was homemade by mr frenchman. He cut his finger, so there prolly was SOME blood in there… :p

September 11, 2011 at 12:33 (3 years ago)

Probably made the soup a bit tastier too… heh!

3. shirlz
    September 1, 2011 at 20:50 (3 years ago)

That bowl of soup is HUMUNGOUS o.O

Yes i remember that conversatin. I think it started when I went to The Brasserie @ Crown with Bill and he had the snails and LOVED it, then you and I had some conversation about whether we like snails or not. Then after I told Bill y’all had gone to Paris Go!, he got so excited he kept saying we should go. Then the end.

RIVETING.

4. shirlz
    September 1, 2011 at 20:51 (3 years ago)

Oh fail @ spelling.

I am DEFIANTLY going to use spell check next time.

5. Fiona von Strudel
    September 2, 2011 at 03:54 (3 years ago)

Glad to hear the French onion soup met expectations. I’m a bit iffy when ordering this soup at French restaurants, as I’ve had real hit-and-miss experiences: France-soir’s attempt was almost unpalatable, and I barely finished half a bowl, where as Bistro Thierry restored my belief. You’d think that something bearing the name of the style of cuisine would be nailed…perhaps I got France-soir on an off night? Would love to know if anyone else has had a similar experience!

Great review, will definitely give Paris Go a shot on my return to Melb!

September 11, 2011 at 12:34 (3 years ago)

I’m surprised that France-Soir got it wrong. I haven’t been there yet but I thought they were supposed to be really good? Bah! I’ll definitely give Bistro Thierry’s soup a go :) When are you back in Melbourne?

6. thundermistress
    September 2, 2011 at 13:46 (3 years ago)

“Stop looking at your Blackberry and pay attention to the pretty lady,”

Haha! :) How cute, nice when you have really sweet attentive waiters/waitresses like that! Have driven by a lot but never really thought to pop in, looks lovely though!

• Ivor Bennet
      September 3, 2011 at 11:41 (3 years ago)

@^^, lol

If he was a Italian waiter he would have got here phone number!…

7. Mitchell
    September 9, 2011 at 16:36 (3 years ago)

Oooh!! what??!?!?! They didn’t have it? Please let us know if any instances like that happen.

When a booking is made, the restaurant either has it in their system immediately, or receives the email immediately (depending on their set-up), and if it is the latter, they may sometimes not check it.

So sorry about this – will be looking into it.

September 11, 2011 at 12:32 (3 years ago)

Nah, I reckon they just hadn’t opened up their email prior to us coming in and not a problem from your end. I’ve used the website to book many other places and didn’t have any issues on those instances :)

8. Martypants.
    September 9, 2011 at 18:26 (3 years ago)

So who was the pretty lady?
    :P